Wednesday 11 June 2014

Nappy (diaper) reviews- Pampers vs Moony

I never really realised how important the difference between nappies are, until recently. I have been buying Pi pampers since his birth, mainly because I have heard of the brand before. Japanese brands with their funny names: Moony, Goo.N, Mamy Poko, Merries; are so foreign. Babies R Us in Japan also sells big boxes of pampers cheaply, and I never really thought too much.

Because I have been buying giant boxes, Pi has grown WAY quicker than expected, and we were left with 176 pampers newborn nappies that were too small (It took Pi 6 weeks to grow out of the Pampers newborn size). Luckily, my Japanese friends had given me a packet of Moony, which I was saving as they run bigger in size than the Pampers. The last few days I have been using a different wipe (which I much prefer) and the Moony nappies, and Pi's bottom has never looked better. He has been having very mild nappy rash off and on for weeks now, but in the last day or so it has disappeared. The Moony are also much softer and just seem better quality.

Here is a bit of a review between the two of them:

Pampers
Cost: about 14yen/nappy
Softness: 3/5
Rash: Slight rash
Fit: a bit small around the legs once he got chubby. Fit runs small generall
Absorbency: 4/5
Poo leaks: 4/5 (three in 6 weeks of use)
Wetness Indicator: Yes
Notes: If you have a small baby, the Pampers newborn might be the best way. Pampers has sticky tape on their fasteners, which gets really annoying when it sticks to the babies skin (Moony doesn't)


Moony
Cost: about 15yen/nappy
Softness: 4/5
Rash: none
Fit: bigger around the waist
Absorbency: 4/5
Poo leaks:- Too early to say.
Wetness Indicator: Yes
Notes: Moony have a little cresent shape taken out near the belly button, for the umbilical stump. Also, they have a wetness line at the back too, so newborn poo will change the colour.

The Moony have my vote so far, as they are soft and I think worth the slight extra cost, especially as he is not going through so many these days.

I will also buy the other brands over the next few months and update this.


No comments:

Post a Comment