Thursday 26 September 2013

Boshi techo- Mother and Child handbook

Today I finally bit the bullet and went to city hall to register my pregnancy. I was told last week by the doctor that I could go and register, but I have been putting it off due to fear (only a little), and the fact that I live in a TINY town (for Japan) where people are huge gossips- so the last thing I wanted was for it to get back to my boss before I tell him (probably in week 12).

My Japanese is about level 4- which means I can hold a basic conversation with poor grammar, and most of the time know the gist of what people are saying (though, sometimes it can be a bad thing as knowing only half of something is sometimes less helpful. Like knowing they told me not to do something, but I don't know want I can't do). I bring it up because if your Japanese is less than mine, bring a friend. I was able to get through, but they do ask some pretty obscure questions on the form you need to fill out.

I went to my city office (called something else though, because my town is not actually big enough to be classified as a city- town hall maybe) and dopely asked the first person I saw where I register a pregnancy. He pointed me a few counters down and a lovely woman sat me down (after her initial frightened look of "how on earth will I help this foreigner"). In my town they did have the bilingual mother and child handbook (aka: Boshi Techo- its a good word to remember), but she gave me a copy of the Japanese book as well, because although they are almost the same, the Japanese book has some helpful phone numbers in there as well. I am yet to decipher what the numbers are for but she thought it would be good for me to have a copy.

The form asked all the usual questions- name, husbands name, DOB, address, how many weeks along, the due date. Then if I had a cervical text ( I think for cancer- I told them yes) and then an anemia test (I said no). I thought it was an interesting question, as I am yet to have blood taken. On the form was also if it was our first child, if I drink or smoke, and also how I felt when I found out I was pregnant (very happy, happy, not so happy).

Then there was a question that left a bit of a gap in my Japanese ability- which was if I had any support here. I told her my husband is a great help, but I think she wanted family, or a family doctor. She didn't seem very satisfied (and quite worried) so I told her that my doctor and a nurse spoke a bit of English, and I have an English speaking Japanese friend, and she seemed a little happier about that.

That was about it for the form (thank goodness). She told me that they have a midwife working at the city office that I can contact if I need (though I won't due to the language barrier), and that after the baby is born they will send her out for a free visit. In my town they also give you a free dental check up if you are preggers- yay. They also give you the most sought after coupon book- which contains 14 coupons (I believe 13 for 3000Yen off, and 1 for 7000yen- I am yet to confirm). My last visit was 4000, so I think it will only cost me about 1000yen ($10) in the future, which is pretty great. Maybe I will ask a Japanese friend to help me translate it one of these days (once my pregnancy is known to the outside world).

In the pack they also give you:
The maternity key ring- which is supposed to let people know you are up the duff so that they are more likely to give up their seat.
Tissues- because it is Japan.
Leaflets- so far I can decipher the following leaflets: "smoking is bad", "how to be a good husband/father/what is happening to your wife", "formula company leaflet"- they are getting in early, "don't shake the baby", "don't let your baby play with knives", "why you should brush your child's teeth", "Mum's teeth", "mini cookbook"- not as exciting as it sounds, "don't get fat, fatty", "raw food kills babies", a leaflet for upcoming classes, a list of dentists for your free check up, "so, you're knocked up book", and two books I have no idea- because they are just pages of kanji with no pictures.

So that's that. It took about 40mins (for some reason), but I am officially registered! Yay. Now to just get through the next 7 months...

No comments:

Post a Comment