Tuesday 13 January 2015

Flying with a baby- flight 1

I'm back.

I had a bit of a break (more like, I didn't bring my computer back to OZ) from the internet, but I am back into the swing of things now.

So, the plane trip.... Gah! I decided (apparently) that it would be fun to travel alone to Australia with a baby who doesn't sleep and catch a cold at the same time. I booked a bassinet seat (thank goodness) which helped (no way could I have rested with a baby strapped to me for 9 hours). I remembered to feed Pichan on take off so he didn't have any problems with his ears, but take off wasn't until 9:30 (delays), which was about 3 hours past his bed time. Needless to say he was exhausted, and therefore- screaming.

He didn't want to go to sleep in his bassinet, even though I had my arms wrapped around him and cuddling him. The hosties were doing the service really slowly, so the lights were on and people were walking up and down the aisle constantly. Eventually, the service finished and they dimmed the lights, so about an hour and a bit after takeoff, Pichan finally went to sleep.

Then the captain came on the P.A. and made his announcement- waking Pi up for another screaming fest. Thankfully he went back to sleep after about 20mins, and then only woke up once during the flight- a quick feed and cuddle and down he went until landing. He was okay on landing again, as he was fed, but waiting through immigration (even through we have 'smart' passports, children can't go through those gates) put him at the end of his tether- the poor little man.

Then it was a long wait for bags (no idea why it took so long, as we were the only international flight coming in at Gold Coast airport). I was also disappointed to see that there were no baby change areas on the baggage collection side, no feeding rooms or even a 'baby' seat in the toilets.


(these baby seats are in most ladies toilets, and sometimes the men's too).

Thankfully, with the Ergo I was able to cart all my bags around (2 wheelie suitcases, a satchel, a bag of toys and a bag of duty free) without too many problems. No way could I have done it with the pram. Customs also took pity on me and sent me through the 'go straight through' gate- so I didn't need to go through my suitcases to prove I have no drugs.

Then, on the other side of the gate- Pi's grandparents- yay!!!

There was also one mothers room, which was basically just a change table and a toilet- considering people kept mistaking it (or deliberately using it) for a ladies toilet I wouldn't have been able to feed Pi in peace. Luckily he was fed not too long before. Still, that is Gold Coast airport for you.

We turned out not too bad though, considering Pi's lack of sleep (and of course, mine). There is no way I would want to do that regularly though....



No comments:

Post a Comment