Monday 21 November 2016

Room thermometer

With winter coming and the sleep-sack juggle, it has been really hard to know what to dress him in at night. I always check the hour by hour forecast to see the lows, but inside and outside temperatures are very different. Enter the room thermometer.

We bought ours from Nishimatsuya. I have seen them at baby stores (like Nishi and Akachan Honpo), as well as online and at electronic stores like Bic Camera, Yamada Denki and Nojima Denki. Amazon have the same one for less than 1000yen. Just look up: デジタル温湿度計 (Dejitaru onshitsudokei)

Ours was super cheap, about 1300yen, and does the job fine.

ドリテック(dretec) デジタル温湿度計 「オプシス」 ホワイト O-230WT

At first, I had no idea what the min/max buttons were. I was hoping I could set it so that the smiley face would change to my settings. When I learned I couldn't change the min and max, I wondered what the point of displaying that was; then I realised that it is helpful to check what temperature his room gets without me monitoring it. For example, maybe the temperature was 20degrees at 7pm, then got up to 23 at midnight and then down to 19 degrees at 6am.  By being able to check the minimum and maximum settings, it means I could see if he was dressed appropriately to sleep.

Now that I have bought one, a room thermometer with a backlight button would also be handy to tell what temperature it is when it is dark in his room. Luckily, there is enough light in his room for me to see when I go to check on him- but it would still be a useful function.

For the cheap price, I really recommend getting one.


1 comment: