Tuesday 2 December 2014

Sleep training Day 19, 20 and 21

So, I had taken my log, but not written it up on here. These are the last three days of sleep training. I have slacked off with the 'training' part a lot because Pi keeps teething, or learning how to crawl, or started with separation anxiety, so I want to be there for him as much as possible. Things that remained the same is he still goes to sleep, in his crib without me there. But I do come in a lot or talk to him at intervals. He seems to go to sleep better when I am not in the room (If I stay and rub his back, he gets angry), but I give him my verbal reassurance, and obviously pick him up or rub his back if he is getting distressed.
The other thing that has changed, is I feed him closer to three times a night, instead of two. It sucks, but I figure if he is teething he wants the extra comfort, and that way he is still getting plenty of milk.


So this is how Day 19 looked:

Nap 1- 1 mins to get to sleep- 26 minutes sleep.
Nap 2-  in car- 1 hr and 9 minutes sleep.- slept with engine off
Nap 3- 6 mins to get to sleep- 29 minute sleep.

Bed (at 6:52pm)- 3 mins to get to sleep

During the night:

10:17pm-* 10 mins to get back to sleep
1:59am-* 10 mins to get back to sleep

Awake at 5:53am

*fed

How amazing was that night sleep!


This is how Day 20 looked

Nap 1- 4 mins to get to sleep- 14 minutes sleep. (possibly teething)
Nap 2- in pram- 27 minutes sleep.
Nap 3- 5 mins to get to sleep- 20 minute sleep.

Bed (at 6:40pm)- 0 mins to get to sleep

During the night:

10:50pm*- 16 mins to get back to sleep
12:46pm - 8 mins to get back to sleep
1:20am - 10 mins to get back to sleep
3:25am*- 12 mins to get back to sleep

Awake at 6:43am
*fed
He might have been teething today. Not so great naps and a few night wakings.

This is how day 21 looked:

Nap 1- 3 mins to get to sleep- 26 minutes sleep.
Nap 2- 2 mins to get to sleep- 1 hr and 20 minutes sleep. By himself!
Nap 3- 2 mins to get to sleep- 34 minute sleep.

Bed (at 6:43pm)- 1 mins to get to sleep

During the night:

10:43pm-  7 mins to get back to sleep
*dream fed him at 1am

Awake at 6am

Wow!


From what I have learnt, while he still only catnaps, he will occasionally go longer by himself. I din't think there is a pattern. I have tried all the combinations (eg, food, no food, freshest nappy, long time awake, short time awake) and nothing seems to be consistent. If I were to deny him milk at night, I am sure he would sleep through. I am not ready to do that though. I figure I can do another 5 months of feeding through the night before I cut it out. That opinion might change though. I definitely do not want to feed any more than 3 times a night though- otherwise 4 times soon turns into 5, and then we are back to 10 night wakings.

We are about to go on holidays back to Australia for almost a month, so after we return we will reassess the night wakings and see if we can get it down to 1 or 2 consistently. I wish we could do a consistent bed time- (it's always between 6 and 7ish), but until he naps start extending, he can be super tired so I wouldn't want to keep him up until 7 if he needs to sleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment