Wednesday 29 October 2014

How to... Solids

I've been finding it really difficult to find information on how to start solids. Just like sleep training, the information is all over the place: Don't start solids before 6 months, start after 4, start by 7 or they'll never eat food. Give them a teaspoon once a day, feed them as much as they'll eat, feed them three times a day, purée it, babies need to eat lumps or they'll won't respond as well to food, only feed them some foods, pumpkin is okay at 6 months, unless it's U.K. pumpkin- then you need to wait until 8 months....

Where on earth to start. We ended up giving Pi rice cereal as a first food, and are slowly introducing veggies. The baby food making class I went to suggested buying a wooden pestle from the dollar store and boil the veggies and then putting them through a strainer in order to purée it. I went down the western route and steam my veggies and then have bought a hand blender (from Yamada Denki- here) to purée the foods. Nice and easy.

As for how much though, the best place I have found information was from 'Healthy Alberta'- click here for the link. I figure a Canadian government initiative might have it's head screwed on, and seemed to be taking a nice middle ground. The PDF contains lots of great information, including how to prepare and store baby food.

So, how many meals a day does baby need? For 6 to 8 months I should offer 1 to 3 meals per day, so I am going the middle route at 6 months by offering 2 small meals a day. I am giving him about a tablespoon of prepared food (either cereal or veggies). I have cooked a lot of veggies the other day, and have puréed and frozen them and then sealed the cubes in plastic bags in the freezer. When it is time to eat all I have to do is defrost a cube out of the freezer and voilà- instant yummies. It doesn't taste too bad either. At least, Pi hasn't been complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment