Monday 14 July 2014

Ergo vs. Sling

For those who have followed though little Pi's tummy troubles, you might remember how everyday, about every hour I would strap him in the ergo and walk round and round in the park. It use to be the only way to get him to sleep (thankfully, he now sleeps in his bouncer- and just in time too, as it is FAR too hot and humid in Japan right now). But, as the summer was fast approaching, and he was cooking in his infant insert, I purchased a sling. I bought a 'Walkabout' sling off of Ebay, as they seemed good quality, and I like to support Australian businesses (http://walkaboutslings.com.au). I love the colours they come in too (I am a bright, solid colour kind of girl).  I bought the royal blue, more because I love the colour than the fact that Pi is a boy. 
The sling is a great price ($25AUD), and though postage is expensive, that is Australia post's fault (My mum sent a small pack of medicine to me yesterday and it cost $13!).

For a few weeks, I didn't really use the sling. Pi wasn't the smallest of babies so I didn't want to tuck him in, and his neck wasn't quite strong enough to not be tucked in. However, now that he can hold his head a bit more (he is 11 weeks) I find it so convenient.
Now that Pi weighs over 5.5kgs I can use the Ergo without the insert though, and that too is becoming cooler and easier to wear.

Here are some pro's and con's of the sling and the Ergo (original).


Sling
Pros:
Super easy to put on (I just slip in over my should and slide Pichan in).
Easy to keep baby asleep if he fell asleep in the car.
Super cool (as in, not hot).
Lightweight so that it can be slung in the nappy bag, so if Pi doesn't want to use it, it's not a big deal.
It has a fairly large pocket that you can put your wallet/keys in.
Has a long sash that can be used to feed discreetly, or cover the baby from the sun/prying eyes.


Cons:
Need to keep a hand on it, just in case baby might slip over the top (not sure if he would, but better safe than sorry)
It can be a bit heavy on the shoulders after a while.
Pi doesn't fall asleep in it as well as the Ergo.
It can be hard to position Pi's legs correctly. Occasionally he has a mark or two when I take him out of the sling but that is due to my fault.

Ergo
Pros:
Very comfortable on longer walks
Pi sleeps well in the ergo
Lots of pockets- including ones that zip.
No need to hold baby in.
Great hood for keeping the sun off of his face
Easy to position him in correctly
Easy to do things around the house
I am sure will be best when he is older and we can carry him on our backs

Cons:
The upper back strap can be difficult to do up sometimes.
Pi's leg sometimes slips into the belt (I do it up as tight as I can, but no matter if I wear it on my stomach, or hips, it still happens)
Gets hot carrying him so close! Even without the insert and I have a cool pack too
I need a cover to keep the sun off his legs and arms if they poke out the sides (though, I haven't bothered so far)


So which one would I choose----- BOTH! If a gun was put to my head, I would say Ergo because it is more hands free, and it got me through some really tough weeks.



BUT they are both so handy for different situations; and while the Ergo is a better all rounder, the sling is super convenient for ducking into the supermarket to pick up a few things (I use it daily now), or a small walk around the block for some fresh air.

If you did have the money, I really recommend having the freedom of both. So far, they have been some of the best baby products that I have bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment