Wednesday 31 August 2016

Day flight with a toddler

Soon enough, our holiday was over with and time to get back on that plane. The flight departed at 10:45 Brisbane time, and arrived 7:00pm Japan time- which are very, very resonable times for both getting to/from the airport. We left at about 7:15am to get to the airport, and got home in Japan at about 10pm (11pm Brisbane time), so it was a very long day for a two year old.

The inflight entertainment didn't go as well as planned as the two shows he was really interested in were only 30 minutes each- which means by the time he watched it twice, he didn't really want to watch it again and again for 9 hours. He is also a bit young to sit through most movies- or sit with his earphones on (he kept taking them off to eat them). So when he did watch TV it was usually without sound.

Qantas served lunch at a reasonable time- but this time the vegetarian meal plan backfired. It was a vegetarian green curry- and while nice enough, Pi didn't like it. I ate that and gave him what he would eat of my meal. Maybe a kids meal would have had more appetizing things (He likes Indian and Japanese curries, but not Thai).

After lunch he was getting really crazy. Mainly due to being tired and sitting in one spot for too long. But it was hard to walk him up and down the aisles as Qantas took so long to get through with the carts (not usually a bad thing, expect when you want to take the toddler for a stroll). Another hour later and he was getting really crazy so I strapped him into the ergo to get him to sleep. It didn't work though, he just screamed and screamed. Eventually I took him off and laid him down in his seat, covered him with my body (in a hugging way) and shushed him to sleep. I couldn't believe it worked! It was lucky that he was tired, and I tried getting him to sleep at about 3pm Brisbane time which is about 2 hours later than usual. It made me so happy hat he slept as it meant I didn't get a sore neck sitting with him strapped to me.

Pi had a blissful hour and 20 minutes before he woke and could stand a bit of T.V again. When he got bored of that, we got out Husbands laptop and put on Peppa Pig and Playschool.

Dinner was a panini- ours was chicken and salsa (or something- I was too motion sick to eat it and Husband hates those sorts of things), and Pi's was a vegetarian chilli panini- which he did like and eat, even with the spice.

Thankfully, when we all thought that we couldn't take any more of the flight- it was over with. All 9, slow, tiring, bouncy hours.

Despite the late time, Pi didn't sleep on the way back home. I suppose there were too many transportation changes but he was fairly well behaved for an over tired boy.  He was so happy to be home. The look on his face when he saw our house and all of his things was absolutely beautiful, and priceless.

If I had to do it again, here is what I would do differently:

Bring an ipad- (not that we have one) because it was hard for him to look up at the screen in the back of the chair infront. I would also put more of the shows he likes (9 hours worth of them) on it. Maybe some games or something too (not that he has ever played them).

Order the children's meal. Yes, I like to make sure he has healthy food, but I think it is more important that he has a full belly than healthy but hungry. I would like to see what the children's meal would be....

If it were a longer flight, I would get one of these inflatable flight cushions- as he was constantly trying to rest his feet on the back of the chair in front:

Image result for toddler flight seat rests

and maybe one of these Travelsnugs:

Image result for toddler flight cushion

but, at the end of the day, I don't know if spending the money on those things would make the much difference...



No comments:

Post a Comment