Wednesday 10 August 2016

Blackout curtains

Summer is a bit of a pain. Between the heat and the long daylight hours it can be hard for children to sleep. At our last house in Ninomiya, we had storm shutters on the doors and windows upstairs, so Pi's room has always been pitch black. The biggest problem with that is it made it really hard for him to sleep in a room that wasn't pitch black (sleep aids are great...and terrible).

When we moved last year to a house with no storm shutters upstairs, we came up with a simple and most importantly cheap solution to get Pi's room nice and dark. Cardboard...

We bought lots of black construction cardboard from the hundred yen store (this time Seria), and stuck it up all over his doors and windows with packing tape. It was great! It looked fine from the outside too, as all you could see were black doors and windows. The only problem was if you wanted to open the door, then you are also letting in unobstructed light. To solve that problem we saftey pinned a black blanket in front of the door, but it only worked so so.

It was a fairly good, but not great solution. My husband also grew concerned after a year if the photo-degrading cardboard would cause any health problems.

So this year we decided to splurge and buy some blackout curtains. I looked at a few different shops- Ikea have both blackout blinds and curtains. Nitori have blackout curtains too. I ended up buying mine from Amazon because they were a little cheaper and had good reviews.


These do an amazing job of keeping out the light (that is the flash that makes the curtains look light in the photo). I actually took the lace curtain off and hung this curtain behind the original curtain. It works even better that way as it create more of a seal around the door frame.




This is what I bought:

1級遮光カーテン プラネット ネイビーブルー 幅100cm×丈200cm 2枚入 全2色8サイズ


Shakō kāten is the word for blackout curtains. 

The 100x200cm size was 4246yen including shipping. 

They are good quality curtains and said they would block out 99.9% of the light. I think they do. 
They also claim to help keep they heat out (which is good) and are washable (also good).

Do be careful if you are buying things online though. Some of the cheaper blackout curtains had some really bad reviews and let's face it, if they are not going to block out the light then there isn't really a point. 

23 comments:

  1. Very nice presentation of details! Great Job! I have been following your blog for quite a while and you have been improving so much since then! Im a fan of yours. Thank you for being such an inspiration, you have widen my wisdom on carpets, mattresses, etc. I would also like to help you with our blackout curtains singapore Visit our site for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Carolina! I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your website on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the information you present here and can't wait to take a look when I get home. I'm surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, superb site! nursery blackout curtains

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work, Well detailed and explained by the author. Hoping that it will inspire more readers. Thank you for sharing this author. Randomly, Curtain Singapore our company offers service at a very affordable price, feel free to visit our website if you are interested. Thank you and Godbless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work, Well detailed and explained by the author. Hoping that it will inspire more readers. Thank you for sharing this author. Randomly, curtain and blinds Singapore our company offers service at a very affordable price, feel free to visit our website if you are interested. Thank you and Godbless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You Have Impeccable Manners of writings. When you feel gutted to someone or anything, Just continue your work be proud of yourself, because your an inspiration for me, Thank you for being you. Did you visit Curtain Singapore you should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noble writings! Have you encountered kerfuffle in your work? Because I think you have lots of thoughts that maybe so confusing to others. If you have time to check curtain fabrication services singapore
    just try to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been discovered it then you share it with your readers, I’m grateful because I’m one of your readers, I learn a lot from your posts, hope I will be able to read more. Do you have any idea aboutcurtain fabrication services singapore
    ? I'm really curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your’e post is like a candle in the darkness that people should see, It gives light to anyone who really looking for this information, and I’m one of them. So I thank you for this. I want to share with youreupholstery services Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your perspective is refreshing! I consider you as an ace in writings! This is what I’m looking for, you really made my day! I think you were so busy and forget to do some stuff in your house so it might be helpful to you this Blackout curtaing Singapore.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Just wow! thankyou author for sharing your very well explained and informative work. Meanwhile, if you are in need a d looking for a carpet cleaning, https://www.cottoncare.com.sg feel free to message us or visit our website, we offer you this at a very affordable price. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been discovered it then you share it with your readers, I’m grateful because I’m one of your readers, I learn a lot from your posts, hope I will be able to read more. Do you have any idea about blind singapore? I'm really curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You Have Impeccable Manners of writings. When you feel gutted to someone or anything, Just continue your work be proud of yourself, because your an inspiration for me, Thank you for being you. Did you visit curtain fabrication services Singapore you should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyday I look on articles that would help me to address so many things, and in some instances my friend is asking me about Blackout curtains Singapore then I don’t have any ideas about it so i decided to take some browse and found this blogs that looks helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was kinda amazed on the effort you put into this Blackout curtains Singapore article will really give some good and valuable thoughts about these things so I must thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why your thoughts are so brilliant!? I really want what you're doing seems like you bring out the best in other people. Because lots of blog’s I’ve encountered was good but it doesn’t really encouraged people, for that I want to give you this Curtain Singapore maybe you find it helpful somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bringing things more convenient is one good thing, and having a ways regarding Blackout curtains Singapore is really significant especially for the housewife or staffs that are responsible for this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. office carpet cleaning Singapore service is one of the services offered by Singaporeans trusted leading laundry company Cotton Care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. While reading your works, I realized that sharing your thoughts to someone who's interested or uninterested is both helpful in the same manner. Wanna have some changes try to visit Curtain Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow this collection is so breath for curtains taking am so inspired

    ReplyDelete
  20. The article written is really great and informative. will be looking further for these type of posts. Thanks.
    Blackout Curtains Queries you'll have

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site. If you are looking forBedroom curtains then contact us for reliable products in affordable price.Bedroom curtains allow you to control the amount of natural light entering the room.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site. If you are looking forbest blackout curtains in dubai. Enhance your workspace with our premium blackout curtains in dubai , designed to reduce glare and provide privacy while adding a touch of elegance to your environment. then contact us for reliable services in affordable price.

    ReplyDelete