Sunday 11 October 2015

Cow's milk.

Pichan really doesn't care for cow's milk. And really, I can't blame him. He is used to sweet breast milk, at a certain temperature and with a cuddle, so it is no surprise that cow juice doesn't do much for him. But now he is a year and five months, which means that in another six months or so I hope to wean him, and then where will he get his dairy from...

Apparently, he should be having two cups of dairy a day- or about 700 milligrams. So what can I do?

He eats yogurt- though the tubs here are small. And will have some cheese most days. Sometimes he will have a few sips of milk, but if I make him banana milk (Banana, flax seeds, oats and a teaspoon of honey) he gulps it down- I actually mix it with even more milk so it is only lightly flavoured. While I don't want him only drinking milk if it is sweetened, I figure that he has been raised on sweetened milk, and he is better off drinking sweetened (not too much) milk, than none at all.

The good news is, I have found other sources that he can get his calcium from (for more info- see http://www.babycenter.com/0_calcium-in-your-childs-diet_10324689.bc):

  • 1/4 cup raw tofu prepared with calcium sulfate: 217 mg (The calcium content of tofu varies, depending on how it's processed. Check the label.)
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt: 207 mg
  • 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses: 172 mg
  • 1/2 cup fruit yogurt: 122 to 192 mg
  • 1/2 cup calcium-fortified orange juice: 133 to 250 mg
  • 1/4 cup ricotta cheese: 167 mg
  • 1/2 cup milk: 150 mg
  • 1/2 cup chocolate milk: 144 mg
  • 1/2 ounce Swiss cheese: 112 mg
  • 1/2 cup vanilla frozen yogurt, soft-serve: 102 mg
  • 1/2 ounce cheddar cheese: 102 mg
  • 1 slice whole grain bread: 24 mg
  • 1/2 ounce mozzarella cheese: 103 mg
  • 1/4 cup collard greens: 66 mg
  • 1/4 cup homemade pudding (from mix or scratch): 76 mg
  • 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed butter): 64 mg
  • 1/4 cup turnip greens: 50 mg
  • 1/4 cup cooked spinach: 60 mg
  • 1/2 cup calcium-fortified cereal (ready to eat): 51 mg
  • 1/2 cup calcium-fortified soy beverage: 40 to 250 mg

I really want him to have strong bones and teeth. I suppose I will just have to be extra good about giving him a varied diet. Maybe I need a meal plan...

No comments:

Post a Comment