Saturday 19 April 2014

38 (+6) Clinic visit

Getting ever closer and ever more exciting. Everything seems to be normal from the usual tests. I have only gained about 200gms, which I put down to my spaghetti lunch. Looks like Pichan has gone down in weight, and was measuring  2980gms (Or something like that) but we are putting that down to inaccurate scans. Hopefully Pi will weight a good weight at birth, hopefully maybe 3400gms-ish.

I met one of the midwives today. A lady called Ima-something. While I was having the EFM done, she came and spoke with me about the birth plan. This is what I put in, and in red are notes on what they what they may agree on:


最小限に膣試験に保管してください Please keep vaginal exams to a minimum No problems 
分娩中に、私の周り歩きたい。 (必要がない限り継続的電子胎児のモニタ
ーをしたくないでください。) During labour, I want to walk around. (I do not want to have continuous fetal monitoring unless necessary.) Okay.
必要でない限り点滴をしないでください Please do not give an IV unless it’s necessary Apparently, in the delivery room I must get one, but I don't need to have it during labour.
必要でない限り帝王切開をしたくないでください I would like to avoid a cesarean unless necessary. No problems
• 子宮口は10cmになったら、まず自由に(好きなときに)息みたい
I would like to “labor down” – once I am fully dilated, I would like to only push when I feel the urge at least in the beginning. This is okay, as long as I can do as directed when needed
• 産んですぐ、へその緒を切らずにお腹 [なか] に乗せて、赤ちゃんがおっ
ぱいまで辿り着く [たどりつく] のをみたい
Please don’t cut the umbilical cord straight away but lay the baby on my belly and allow it to find my breast on its own. Unfortunately not on this one.
• 夫が希望したら、へその緒は夫に切って欲しい I would like for my husband to cut the umbilical cord, if he wants to. They thought this was weird, but kind of agreed.
• 産んですぐに授乳 [じゅにゅう] したい、(遅くても、出なくても)30分
以内に授乳
I would like to start breastfeeding directly after birth – even if it doesn’t come quickly or takes a long time, I would like to try for at least 30 minutes. Unfortunately, they might need to take the baby away, so not really.
縫合が必要な場合は、局所麻酔をしてください Local anesthesia for stitches please Yep.
• 時間を決めないで、赤ちゃんが泣くとき、好きなだけ授乳したい I would like to breastfeed at will and not on any schedule.Yep
• 母乳以外 (糖水・粉ミルク・哺乳瓶)を与えない
Please do not offer the baby anything to drink – only breastfeeding. Okay, but only if they baby is not losing too much weight.
• 完全 [かんぜん] 母子同室 [ぼしどうしつ](初日から)
I would like for my baby to be in the same room as me from the start. Okay, but she thought I might be very tired so I have the option to give to the nurses when needed.

I had some other things in my birth plan, but I took them out because I already knew the answer is no (Like not delivering on my back, it's the only option at my clinic). I found out that it is no problem to take my birth ball in, and after the birth they show the baby, and then take it away for checks and cleaning before cuddles (boo), but I suppose it can't be helped. They really believe that the way they do it is for the best for the baby, and my Japanese isn't good enough to argue with them. Plus, it seems similar to how things were done in the early 80's when I was born, and most of us turned out fine...ish...

We finally had a tour of the facilities too. The delivery room and labour room (there are three, one nicer more private one, and one big room with two beds and a curtain between. If one books the aroma birth, then you get the more private one, or if there is no one in there then we can use that one. The delivery room is typical clinical looking, with two beds (I am assuming if it is super busy). On the second level is the nursery, nurses station next door and the two 'State rooms' (one is nicer than the other). The big difference being that there is a shower.

特別室写真 Stateroom

The other rooms are on the 3rd floor. They are simple enough with single beds. The nurse looked at me and thought it might be a bit small. At 179cms I am taller than the average Japanese man, so I suppose it isn;t a big surprise. The showers are shared and time is booked, but it shouldn't be a problem. There are toilets in all the rooms, so it is just the shower.

一般室写真 regular room

The difference in price is 10000yen a night ($100). If all the regular rooms are full, they give a discount off the staterooms, and if they are full too, then the first night will (unfortunately) be spend in the labour room. Though, I think that almost never happens. She assured me anyway.

Visiting hours suck, even for husbands. 3-8pm on weekdays and Saturdays from 3pm to 8pm, and Sundays and Holidays from 12pm-8pm. I suppose it is just something that we will have to deal with.

I feel quite good about the visit though, and a lot more prepared. It is good to know what to prepare for an take some of the guessing out of it. Now, we just need little Pi to come :D


No comments:

Post a Comment